Friday, October 25, 2019

Colored Pencil on Colored Cardstock and Adding a Shadow



This is my last and final blog/ video combo for my Growing In Unity Week.  If you are stopping by the week of 10/21/2019-10/25/2019 please leave a comment below for a chance at some Unity Stamp Company Goodies. And while you are at it, make sure to leave a comment on all the other blog posts from this week to multiply your chances at some super happy mail!



I wanted to finish this week off with a little colored pencil coloring. You see, I don't do it very often, colored pencils are not my go-to coloring medium of choice. I love the look I get with them and I know if I practice with them more I will probably pick them up more often. But, the reason I chose colored pencils today was because this week was a challenging week for me. If you've followed my blog posts this week you will have seen an extra blog post and video talking about my beautiful baby girl Delaney who was born in 2013 and gifted us 10 beautiful days before passing away. Every year those 10 days, 10 hours & 20 minutes are the longest and hardest for me. To say they are a challenge is an understatement but if I were to relate how this is for me back to crafting, I'd say it is something I'd do over again and with practice I am holding up ok and am learning how to live in our new normal. So... the reason I chose colored pencils, I need the practice to learn how to be ok with the outcome.


For this project:
I used Rebuild Herself
designed by Angie Blom
You can find it here: Rebuild Herself

 I also used Pretty Darn Amazing



March 2017 Kit of the Month
You can find it here: Pretty Darn Amazing
















So now that I've shared why this is my final GIU project of the week, here is how I did it.

After stamping the frame from the KOM in Ink on 3 blackout ink, I colored it with my Prisma colored pencils. I used several shades of brown and a cream color along with my blender pencil to hopefully get a wood carved feel.



After I spent over an hour second guessing myself for starting such an endeavor, I placed a reverse mask over the image with just the center oval cut out and stamped this beautiful image from the Rebuild Herself set so she appeared in the mirror. I'm not going to lie, I was terrified at this point that I was going to screw this up so bad.

But I didn't. And in all reality it is just some paper. I colored the rest of the image inside the mirror using more Prisma colored pencils and I really love how that purple just jumps off the page. I'm glad I chose that color combo. Purple and Chocolate brown for the WIN!





I really didn't want to cover any of this image with a sentiment label, panel or even the original circle I had planned so I heat embossed directly onto my colored panel with white embossing powder. Yep, I held my breath while I did it. Again... I just knew I was going to screw all this up. But I didn't.



As I was looking at my finished panel I realized it still didn't have the dimension I had hoped for and I decided to get my N Copic markers out and add a shadow. In the coordinating video you can see how slowly I built up the color because I had real fear folks, this was a test of my courage this card. ;)



In the end, the card I ended up with is so beautiful and perfect and worth every nail biting, heart stopping, no turning back now, moment.  Be that crafter, step outside your box, go for it. It feels so good to practice at something and be ok with the results.


Unity Stamp Co does this very cool thing each week where they give some of their awesome stamps away just for some comments... seriously! So, to participate, if you are here during the week of 10/21/2019 - 10/25/2019, just leave a comment, it is that simple.

To watch me make these cards, you can watch them be made on my YouTube channel by clicking here: Delaney Jane Cards

All items were purchased with my own funds. 

Confused about why I named it all Delaney Jane Cards if my name is Renee’?
This entire thing, shop, YouTube channel, blog, etc, it is all named after our angel daughter who passed away in 2013. I made her some promises when she passed away. I would spread joy, I would make her proud and I would speak her name daily. This is one way we choose to honor her memory, and help me keep my promises.



Check out our online store at: www.delaneyjanecards.com
Want to visit us on Instagram? Check us out at @delaneyjanecards

23 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for a great week! Remember-You never know until you go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try to remember it is just paper. sometimes that is tough. -Renee'

      Delete
  2. Well, you had me at purple! lol This is a beautifully perfect color combo. Awesome coloring!! Thanks for a lovely inspirational week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Becca. The purple really popped off this chocolate brown. -Renee'

      Delete
  3. So lovely. Thank you for sharing this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this card! I dont usually work with craft paper so I will have to challenge myself this weekend to try some out!! I have enjoyed seeing all the projects you made this week!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise. It was fun to create this one. -Renee'

      Delete
  5. I like the purple! Crafters rarely use purple. NICE job coloring. I have really enjoyed seeing your work this week, and reading your posts....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually see purple. I've been loving the color lately. -Renee'

      Delete
  6. Wow!! Love this so much!! Thanks for sharing your talent this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card....thank you so much for the great GIU week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mirror is just perfect, you coloring is fabulous on this card. We are often our worst critic and too hard on ourselves. I'm not sure if time really heals wounds, but we can trust that His grace will always be sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. -Renee'

      Delete
    2. @Andre M. This comment was chosen by the random generator I used. You are one of the Unity Stamp winners for this week. Please email me at delaneyjanecards@gmail.com with your mailing address. Congratulations! -Renee'

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on stepping out of your comfort zone (using colored pencils) and acing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth! They take so long for me to color with but I love the results! -Renee'

      Delete
  10. What a great result after all your nail-biting effort, and thanks for a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wasn't that scary! I wasn't sure what was going to happen. sometimes crafting is frightening! -Renee'

      Delete