Monday, March 27, 2017

Unicorns & Rainbows: Growing in Unity Day 1


Hi Everyone, 

My name is Renee and I am one of the Growing in Unity girls for the week. I've been paper crafting for almost 20 years (I just gasped at that too). I started out with scrapbooks when I was pregnant with my oldest son, now almost 19 and have since switched almost exclusively to card making. I love the instant gratification cards bring. 

As I said, I started nearly 20 years ago while pregnant with my first son and just a few short weeks ago my husband and I welcomed collective baby number 7! We are a big blended family and our kids range from almost 19 to 5 weeks old. 

We endured a tragedy in 2013 when our 10 day old daughter Delaney passed away. Since then it has been my sole mission to spread joy and happiness. Although she did not pass away from cancer, I felt the people battling cancer were feeling the same helpless feelings my husband and I were while we watched our daughter struggle and fight. So, I've been sending cards of hope to cancer patients for the last 3 1/2 years, mostly anonymously, always full of love and hope. Unity has been a huge part of this because they carry such an amazing line of cancer stamps (so grateful for that, btw). 

This week I want to focus on techniques and bright fun cards. I hope you enjoy my cards as much as I do. Today's technique is INK SMOOSHING. By pressing the distress ink pads down on a piece of acetate and spritzing the pigment with water and dabbing your paper into the ink pool, you can create some really interesting and beautiful designs, images and backgrounds. 

My first card this week required me to step outside my crafty comfort zone, completely. I'm not usually a fan of ink smooshing because it delivers results that are less than ... controlled... and I'm a pretty clean and simple card maker. The background on this card is rainbow ink smooshing, what else would you think would be appropriate for this super cute Unicorn by Susan Weckesser?




This set is called Unicorns & Rainbows and comes with 6 red rubber stamps. I used three image stamps and the sentiment to create this card.





I paper pieced the cute unicorn and cloud onto the background, colored the rainbow with some fun copic markers and added some sparkle to the unicorn. How much fun is this card!












Be sure to leave a comment below for your change to win some fun stamps from Unity Stamp Company!



The products used to create this bright and cheery card are:

Unity Stamp Co Unicorns & Rainbows available here:
Unicorns & Rainbows

Ranger Distress Inks:
Candied Apple
Carved Pumpkin
Mustard Seed
Lucky Clover
Blueprint Sketch
Wilted Violet

Additional Products Used:
A Muse Studio Landscape die- cloud border
Mama Elephant Die- Park Ave. Frame
Copic Markers- Rainbow colors
PPP sequins
Tim Holtz water color paper
Spectrum noir sparkle overlay pen

63 comments:

  1. AWESOME card! Ink smooshing is so much fun to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lagene, it is a technique I struggle with. I always want to control the color too much.

      Delete
  2. A lovely bright cheerful card, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I swear the stamp set does all the work Crystal.

      Delete
  4. I love your card and need to try this technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, it was a fun technique for this card, for sure.

      Delete
  5. What a cute card. So many times we create cards that I think are more appreciated by adults. I can see "children of all ages" having a smile on their faces when they receive this card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making cards that will make people smile, big and small. Thanks for stopping by today.

      Delete
  6. How adorable. I love how you colored him? her? So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute, Renee...nice to see you blogging again, and posting your beautiful cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joann, when I can fit it back into my life, I'd love to blog on a regular basis. It is fun to create and share

      Delete
  8. Thanks Renee for sharing your story about Delany and your mission of spreading happiness to cancer patients. My daughter is a cancer survivor, so that means a lot. I really enjoyed this card... it is so bright and cheerful and happy! I am new to smooshing and paper piecing but will have to experiment a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your daughter is a hero in my eyes, Dorothy. Thank you for sharing that part of your life with me. I'd love to see the results of your experiments when you have time to try ink smooshing.

      Delete
  9. I appreciate your story. Thanks for sharing. My sympathy for your loss. I love smooshing also use cheap markers like crayola for this technique. Love that unicorn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried with cheap markers but now I'm interested to see what I can do with those, and how much I can control the color. ;)

      Delete
  10. Interesting technique - love the way it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I am pretty sure even your little ones could do ink smooshing. Easy and fun!

      Delete
  11. That's fabulous, Renee, so happy and cheerful! Susan's unicorn is so fun, and you've created the perfect background for it! It's a wonderful thing you do...sharing your cards with cancer patients. I'm so glad that Susan shared your post so that I could come see it! Thank you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. I adore this stamp set and could never do it the justice it really deserves.

      Delete
  12. Amazing colorful card! I love the ink smooshing technique.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My grand-daughter would just melt when she saw this card if I made it for her! It's now on my list of cards of course. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun to make. I completely encourage you making her one.

      Delete
  14. What an adorable and colorful card! I'm glad you stepped out of your comfort zone to bring us something new! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I found this one to be so fun... sometimes it is fun to let the image create the card it wants to be.

      Delete
  15. Love this. Ink smooshing is so much fun and adding paper piecing looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, I found it to be fun but I had anxiety over controlling the color. Note to self: work on that!

      Delete
  16. Love this. Ink smooshing is so much fun and adding paper piecing looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really precious! Gorgeous coloring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bright and fun was the way to go with this one.

      Delete
  18. Very colorful. Sometimes it is a good thing to stretch ourselves outside our normal style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. new techniques are really fun to play with and when you can revisit one you don't use often and make something you like, that is a win in my book. So I figured this card was a winner

      Delete
  19. Very cute card! I can't say that I have ever tried ink smoothing. I usually like controlled crafting situations too LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI, ink smooshing is easier to control than water color washes... and that is why I tried it. So, go for it.

      Delete
  20. Love all of the colors and cheerfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry for the loss of your daughter. I also make cards mostly and donate them for cancer patients, as I'm a cancer survivor also, and sadly that is what took my husband 2 years ago. I started doing those cards many years ago when my cousin had stage 4 breast cancer and there weren't any cards that seemed appropriate to stay in touch with her and encourage her in treatments. I also use them to stay in touch a little with older relatives I don't get to see often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kindness took my breath away for a few moments... I wasn't sure what to even write back so I'll start with my first few thoughts. Thank God you are a survivor! I'm sorry your husband fought the battle of his life and didn't survive. Thank you for your sympathies. And God bless your continued card making and your ability to encourage others.

      Delete
  22. What a beautiful thing to do! I love this card.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Replies
    1. Me too, it is so much fun. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  24. This is so cute! What a wonderful idea to send cards to cancer patients! Your card is so cute! I had heard of the "ink smooshing" but I haven't tried it yet. I know what you mean about making clean and simple cards, I'm that way too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have trouble adding things to my cards, what do you do when you want to break out of the clean and simple rut?

      Delete
  25. Very cute....I don't make enough childrens cards....this one is so darn cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more trouble with masculine cards than children's or feminine cards. thoughts on encouraging more masculine layouts?

      Delete
  26. I totally get it! I'm not a mess maker either when I craft. Watching the unity videos has really made me step out of my comfort zone as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time letting go, for sure. But I'm working on it.

      Delete
    2. Love the different techniques. Super cute card.

      Delete
  27. Your passion is definitely shown through your beautiful craftsmanship! I have never tried smooshing or paper piecing but think I need to now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. thanks AnneMarie. I really hope my love for card making and the smiles the cards make shows through.

      Delete
  28. Love how bright and cheery. I turned to inspirational stamping when my son passed. It was a great outlet for emotions and strength to grow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am incredibly sorry for your loss Susan. It really changes you all the way to your soul. And it can swallow you alive if you aren't careful. So, for me, finding an outlet for the missing piece of my heart and the pain it causes has been exceptionally beneficial.

      Delete
  29. Super cute card! Your background turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. it was a exercise in not controlling all the things for me.

      Delete
  30. Adorable card! Love that rainbow colored background and adorable unicorn!

    ReplyDelete